Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread around the globe, and the response is having a major impact on lives and businesses globally. As national and regional governments take steps to curb the spread of the virus in North America, many of you have reached out to share how you are preserving the health and well-being of the businesses and individuals in your communities.
From restaurants ramping up delivery offerings to fitness classes going virtual, businesses are coming up with different ways to meet their customers’ needs during this challenging time.
While social distancing and isolating at home become the new normal, thank you for keeping hard-hit local businesses top of mind and supporting them to your level of ability and comfort. Even calling your favorite local business to ask about the availability of online ordering options—or just to say hello and ask how they’re managing—is likely to be appreciated during this time. You can help your favorite businesses by updating their Yelp business listing with hours of operation or temporary closures.
We’ve enjoyed connecting with Yelpers across North America and hearing your suggestions to help our communities thrive.
Five ways you can support local businesses during this time
1. Buy gift cards to use later. Purchasing a gift card from your favorite shop, fitness studio, or restaurant is an immediate way to provide cash to that business.
2. Support one of the 100,000 businesses that deliver through the Yelp app. Many businesses are also offering options to minimize in-person interaction, like offering curbside pickup. Consider being a little extra generous on tips for delivery employees, since their income will drop due to fewer patrons. Find delivery near you.
3. Shop local online. Many retail businesses are creating online shops for customers to make purchases during this time—many are even offering free shipping.
4. Spread the word about your favorite local businesses to friends and family. Create Yelp collections of businesses offering special services during this time, and share them with your community.
5. Give special attention to local products when ordering grocery delivery. From cheese and meats to produce and desserts, this is one easy way to give extra love to your local makers.
We’ve been discussing ways that Yelp can do more to help local businesses during this time too, and we’ll have more to share on that soon.
Look out for each other, wash those hands, and be safe. We are grateful for all the people and businesses in our Yelp communities, and wish you well during this difficult time.