Learn more about On Havana Street
What is On Havana Street?
The Havana Business Improvement District (BID) d.b.a. On Havana Street, is a special district (Colorado Revised Statues 31-25-1203) in Aurora/Arapahoe County Colorado created in 2007 by business and neighborhood leaders and Aurora city staff working together to build a stronger, better community. We really are making a difference by focusing on unique, culturally diverse events and fun new things to do to make the lives of our residents and visitors more interesting. At the same time, the Havana BID provides programming and benefits to business and commercial properties located along the Havana corridor including economic development, establishing a district identity for the area and advocacy programs.
Click Here to read about our past accomplishments and our 2017 plans.
In November 2007, the commercial property and business owners voted to tax themselves 4.5 mills in real property tax to fund the new business district. The margin of support was 80% yes to 20% no. The stakeholders are committed to promoting commerce and community On Havana Street. There are 209 real commercial properties and approximately 500 businesses. A 9-member board, made up of all sizes and types of businesses from different sections of Havana Street, oversees district programming. As of April 2, 2018, Gayle Jetchick, Executive Director, and Chance Horiuchi, Executive Director in Training are the two staff members responsible for day-to-day activities On Havana Street. Gayle Jetchick has been the only staff member responsible for the Havana BID since its existence.
Our Logos: The Havana BID has been branded as “On Havana Street.” Our sub-brands in the BID include the “Havana Motor Mile” for our many auto dealerships, repair shops and auto parts businesses, as well as “Art 2C on Havana” for our sculpture-on-the-street public art program.
Where is On Havana Street?
On Havana Street runs 4.3 miles along Havana from 6th Avenue on the north to Dartmouth Avenue on the south, swinging the corners at major intersections. It is situated at one corner of the “opportunity triangle” formed by three other major redevelopment projects in the area–Lowry, Stapleton and Fitzsimons/Anchutz Campus. Havana BID Map pdf
Who’s in Charge?
The Havana BID is governed by a 9-member Board of Directors, appointed by Aurora City Council:
- Garrett Walls, BID President, Western Centers, LLC/Havana Exchange Shopping Center, 2802 S Havana St
- Yulissa Williams, BID Vice President, Bank of the West, 1389 S Havana St
- Matt Rauzi, BID Director, Colorado’s Pro Gym, 1939 S Havana St
- Donovan Welsh, BID Director, Havana Auto Parts, 910 S Havana St
- Shannon Jones, BID Director, President, First Bank of Aurora, 2300 S Havana St
- Gary Sliger, BID Director, Gary’s Full Service Auto Repair, 30 S Havana St
- Brenda Soper, BID Director, AmCap, property manager for The Gardens on Havana St
- Devon Horan, BID Director, property manager for Havana Tower, 1450 S Havana St
- Finn Ruehrdanz, BID Director, Indoor Facility Manager, Colorado Rapids Youth Soccer Club, 111 Havana St. Suite 120
- Gayle Jetchick, BID Executive Director
- Chance Horiuchi, BID Executive Director in Training
How are we financed?
In 2007, the real property owners in the BID voted to tax themselves 4.5 mills in real property tax to fund the Havana BID. Per our adopted 2018 Havana BID Operational Plan the revenue is applied to:
- Program Management: Payroll, Supplies, Equipment, Overhead, Audit & Accounting, Taxes, Insurance, Legal counsel
- Economic Development & Marketing: Special Events to bring customers into the district, Business Support & Attraction, Consumer Marketing TV, radio and print ads for events and the Havana Motor Mile, Ratepayer Communication, the Branding Campaign/website and support of the Business Watch Program
- District Identity: Gateway Sign repair and maintenance, Condominium Newsrack repair and maintenance, Art 2C On Havana public art program expenses, Banners & Decorations, Streetscape/landscape planning, improvement, design and/or engineering.
- State required 3% reserves
- Arapahoe County treasurers fee 1.5%
How do you get in touch with us?
On Havana Street:
1555 S Havana Street Suite F303
Aurora CO 80012
Gayle Jetchick, Executive Director
Chance Horiuchi, Executive Director in Training
Upcoming Board Meetings
The Board of Directors meets at 8:30 a.m. on the third Thursday of each month at Denny’s Restaurant, 1505 S Havana (SW corner of Florida & Havana), unless otherwise noted below.
ALL DATES ARE THURSDAYS
MEETINGS ARE AT 8:30 A.M. AT DENNY’S AT 1505 S HAVANA IN THE NEW MEETING ROOM TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE RESTAURANT
- JANUARY 18
- FEBRUARY 15
- MARCH 15
- APRIL 19
- MAY 17
- JUNE 21
- JULY 19 – Gift Card Giveaways at Meeting to Promote Restaurant Week August 1-8, 2018
- AUGUST 16
- SEPTEMBER 20
- OCTOBER 18
- NOVEMBER 15 (ANNUAL MEETING AT SALVAGE RESTAURANT)
- DECEMBER 20
Links to useful information for your business
Helpful Links to Area Attractions
Helpful links for present and future business owners On Havana Street
- Read the Fan Fare Market Study 2016 and Argenta Development Master Plan and more as of May 3, 2018
- View the Havana North/Fanfare Concept Plan, created by area neighbors, business owners and city officials to establish guidelines and high-quality standards for future redevelopment.
- Read about the TIF area established at Havana North/Fan Fare in Nov 2015
- View the Recommended Xeriscape Plant and Tree List for the Havana District
- View the Havana Street Landscape Overlay District Ordinance
- View the new City of Aurora Sign Code with the new rules for electronic message board (EMCs) starting on page 14 of the code
- Need help finding someone to do maintenance on your business, remove snow or chip & seal your parking lot? Check out our Service Vendors List
- View/print a set of business watch cards 2018 Business Watch Card for your business.
- View Aurora’s new aggressive panhandling ordinance that takes effect 1/6/2016
- View the Colorado Municipal League’s graffiti & gang basic training document for the Denver Metro area.