COMMUNITY ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT SERVICES (CEDS) is hiring a Investment Officer
Job Description: Investment Officer
CEDS Overview: CEDS is a non-profit impact investor firm whose mission is to support the American
Dream of financial self-sufficiency, by assisting refugees, immigrants, and those from underserved
communities in Metro Denver through small business support. CEDS is the 2018 Colorado Community
Lender of the Year. The organization is also and a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI)
that’s facilitated over $3 million of investment capital into the local community and created/retained 430 jobs.
Main Duties and Responsibilities: The Investment Officer is responsible to process and underwrite loan
applications, manage and implement collections process, provide technical assistance to CEDS clients, and support the loan department in all manners. Processing and underwriting applications includes tracking applicants; reviewing intake forms, business plans and supporting documents; as well as conducting the financial underwriting. Managing collections includes establishing a client relationship with the borrower, monitoring repayments and booking loan transactions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Procedural Obligation: Ensure CEDS Loan Procedures are properly being implemented, including
updating relevant software (DownHome Solutions, MPERS, and other internal tracking spreadsheets),
and perfecting collateral.
• Client Intake & Loan Package Assembly: Assess clients for CEDS eligibility and fit, provide training on
completing loan application, as needed, and track applicant and progress information. Organize loan
information (maintaining both hard & soft copies), review application for thoroughness and accuracy,
determine additional information needs and perform the necessary due diligence, including site visits
and reference checks.
• Collection: Work with the Investment and Finance Manager to track monthly payments. When clients
are late, follow collection guidelines (calling and emailing clients). Work with clients to understand
why they are late and problem solve how they might get back on track. Build relationships with clients
and conduct regular check-ins to monitor the progress of their businesses. Update client data,
including contact information, regularly.
• Outreach: May be called upon to represent CEDS at community outreach events, including hosting a
table or trade booth at festivals or forums. Present information on CEDS and explain our products to
targeted stakeholders to develop customers and the brand.
• Loan Analysis & Presentation: Analyze and score the loan package in terms of business viability,
credit/character, collateral, owner’s equity and skill to operate business. Perform external analysis on
applicant, including performing credit scores, OFAC checks and conducting reference checks. Take
loans through internal staff review and may be called upon to present them to the External Credit
• Technical Assistance: Provide guidance and/or training, either in groups or one-to-one sessions, to
potential borrowers on issues related to small business management, such as business startup,
marketing, bookkeeping, financial strategy and/or cash flow management.
• Report Preparation & Submission: Prepare and submit required reports to funders and Executive
• Special Projects: Work with the Executive Director on special projects as the need arises. This may
entail – among other things – supporting proposal preparation, leading asset distributions, and/or
researching new projects or partnerships.
• Other Duties: Perform other duties as assigned by Executive Director and Investment Manager.
• B.A. or B.S. degree is required; preference for a degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting,
Business Management. Master’s degree is strongly preferred
• Two to five years’ experience (domestic or international) in commercial underwriting, impact
investing, finance, business consulting or business plan preparation
• Strong financial analysis skills including understanding the linkages between the various financial
statements and a proficiency in Excel
• Interest in impact investing or socially-minded businesses is desired, experience is preferred
• Ability and experience to work with low income individuals of wide-ranging cultures
• Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
• Ability to work effectively in a team and can operate independently as the tasks are require
• Ability to speak more than one language a plus
• Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). Experience with DownHome
Solutions, Equifax, Credit Builder, Photoshop/Gimp and/or Word Press is preferred
• Proactive, professional and hardworking with strong organizational and analytical skills. Flexible
with an interest to learn and develop professional skills
If interested, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Investment Officer”
in the subject line. The cover letter needs to be handwritten. The application deadline is September 15,
See PDF – CEDS_Job Description_Investment Officer